What is the Irish Railroad Workers Museum?
The Irish Railroad Workers Museum is a historic site in Baltimore Maryland that celebrates the history of the immense Irish presence in Southwest Baltimore in the late 1840's. The museum officially opened on June 17th, 2002. This site consists of a group of 5 alley houses where Irish immigrants lived while working for the adjoining B&O Railroad. Two of the houses, 918 and 920 Lemmon St., serve as our Museum, and include the home of James and Sarah Feeley, who lived at 918 Lemmon Street for over twenty years with 6 of their 10 children. The Feeley home has been restored to reflect the lives of the family, and a special room on the second floor displays James Feeley’s perilous journy from County Tipperary to Baltimore. The adjoining house is used for historical displays and presentations that expand our story. The Irish Railroad Workers Museum is the centerpiece of a larger historical district that includes the B&O Railroad Museum, St. Peter the Apostle Church, Hollins Market, and St. Peter the Apostle Cemetery. The museum is a project of the Railroad Historical District Corporation, a non-profit organization.