Reading about the opening of new libraries around the world ... ones that are transforming the role, function and look of this vital community institution (New York Times, Check This Out, by Alyson Krueger, Sunday - August 18, 2019).
I am looking forward to seeing what the new Pratt Library in Baltimore will offer our city and its citizens.
- Helsinki Library = $98 million euros with only 1/3 allocated to books
- Dublin Library = radio station broadcasting 24/7
- Ottawa = $192 million with a 320 seat theater
- Qatar Library = labs for writing music, broadcast rooms with green screens. Play spaces for kids
- Tianjin Library (China) = 10,000 visitors per day
- Austin Library = a seed library, solar energy, 373,000 gallon rainwater cistern, a technology petting zoo