Wade Hampton Blvd should NOT be renamed. Please sign and share so that we can preserve the history of this noble and historical figure.
Keep Wade Hampton Blvd Intact
Preserving the History of the Goodale Inn built in 1799
745 Sand Bar Ferry Rd
The home was built in 1799 on part of Thomas Goodale's 500 acre plantation. Goodale was an original founder of Augusta, Georgia and was the ferry captain on the Savannah River that runs behind the house. The plantation was then sold to Francis Macartan and Martin Campbell, founders of Macartan and Campbell Trading Company as well as founders of Augusta. Macartan Campbell, son of the latter owned the plantation afterwards and upon his death his widow Sarah Fenwick took possesion. Prominent Savanah businessman Dr. George Jones married Sarah Fenwick and in 1799 sold the Plantation to a Charleston, South Carolina merchant named Christopher Fitzsimmons. Oswall Eve Jr and family moved into the house in 1800 before building Forest (Frog) Hall. The Eve's father, Oswall Sr, had operated the only black powder mill in the colonies and his works were spied on by the government through Paul Revere. Oswalds powder fired the majority of the bullets of the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. The true Inventor of the cotton gin, Joseph Eve resided in the home after his brother Oswall left. Dr Joseph Eve,Founder of the Geogia Medical College(Augusta Medical College), was good friends with fellow inventor Benjamin Franklin and Declaration of Independance signer Dr. Benjamin Rush. His son Joseph Adams Eve grew up in the home. He is also the father of Judge William F. Eve of Richmond County. Christopher Fitzsimmons later gave the home to his daughter Ann and her new husband, Wade Hampton, Jr., as dowry. His son, Wade Hampton III, would later become leader of the Confederate Army and governor of South Carolina. Goodale plantation was owned by Wade Hampton, Jr., but he let his father, Wade Hampton, Sr. live there. Wade Hampton, Sr., was a Colonel in the American Revolution, a General in the War of 1812 and was the man who first brought the news to Washington, DC, that the United States had won the Battle of New Orleans in 1814. Numerous articles of correspondence from the elder Hampton bear the inscription "Goodale." In 1835 SC Representative Abner Whatley bought the Goodale. Later his brother Edmund Whatley owned it. They were both charter members of Beech Island Baptist and Abner donated the land it is built on. From 1839-1850, the inn was the home of Dr. Paul Fitzsimmons Eve (1806-1877), Dean of the Medical College of Georgia and Surgeon General for the Confederacy. Eve was a Golden Cross recipient from the Polish Revolution and is the only American Soldier to fight for the Polish. He was honored with a statue erected in Augusta by the Polish government. He has over 600 published works and was the greatest surgeon of his time. He is also accredited with performing the first hysterectomy. Later, Jonathan M Miller, made the Goodale Inn his home. He was an extensive planter with several farms and prominent member of The Augusta Company. He was also a charter member of Beech Island Baptist. John H. Mann lived briefly at Goodale. He was a Methodist Minister and helped to found the black Methodist church Trinity. Charles Cunningham lived for a short period at The Goodale. His Grandfathers were General Charles Cunningham and Captain Oswall Eve. His father was the principal broker in the Americas for Joseph Eve's cotton gin. Jonathan Miller moved back and farmed the land for 20 more years before selling to Hamilton H. Hickman. Hickman was longtime president of Graniteville Mill and influenced not only modern day industry but education as well. He was Vice President of The Southern Baptist Convention and also the Georgia Railroad bank. Robert A Flemming, from the prominent Flemming family of Augusta had the home at the turn of the 20th century. Another house of his as well as his mothers house have been restored on Greene Street. After the McElmurrays farmed the Goodale for many years, Troy Agnew moved into the house. Troy was a professional baseballer who played and managed several minor league teams. He owned the Augusta Tigers with his brother Sam Agnew. Sam caught Babe Ruth's game one shutout in the 1918 World Series and played for several major league teams. The Goodale Inn was a restaurant in the 70's and was no stranger to hosting some famous celebrities of the 20th Century. Jack Nicklaus and Frank Sinatra are just a couple who have sat down to eat at the Goodale . Several musicians have made a day or night of entertaining guests as they enjoyed dinner. It was even a school called "Our School" for a short period during the early 70's. The Goodale Inn is also known as the Fitzsimmons-Hampton House and is on the National Historic Registry. The home has also been the site for paranormal exploration with many reports of sightings and activity. The spirit of little girl inhabits the residence as well as an adult woman. There seems to be another presence in the house although it has not made itself known as of yet. The house was being restored when the western chimney collapsed and took down most of the wall. The remaining chimney was removed and the home was structurally reinforced to prevent further damage.
Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Save The Goodale posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Send a message to Save The Goodale: