12/08/2026
๐ผ ๐๐ง๐๐๐ ๐๐๐จ๐ฉ๐ค๐ง๐ฎ ๐ค๐ ๐๐๐ฃฬ๐๐ง๐ง๐ช๐๐๐ ๐๐ฃ๐ฉ๐๐๐ง๐๐ฉ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ค๐ค๐ก
๐ฃ๐บ ๐๐ข๐ณ๐ณ๐ฆ๐ฏ ๐๐ข๐ณ๐ช๐ฏฬ๐ฐ
A primary school was opened in 1903 in Peรฑarrubia, Abra, then known as Rancheria de Patoc, a community largely composed of Itneg people. It was the first public school established in the area and was known by the people as the โInstituto.โ
The first teachers in the school were Ilocano. The American government sent Ilocano teachers because the people were afraid of American teachers. One of the Americans connected with the early education of Peรฑarrubia was Harry Borgstadt, who later served as Supervising Teacher of the Abra-Tinggian District. His influence was remembered by the people, and one person named Danumen later adopted Borgstad as his first name.
In 1907, Act No. 1801 was passed providing for the construction of schoolhouses, known as the Gabaldon Act, after Assemblyman Isauro Gabaldon. The first schoolhouse in Peรฑarrubia was built with hardwood and other mixed materials and was valued at โฑ340. The school on the hill stood as a reminder of the hopes and selfless efforts of the people who worked together to make it a reality.
On March 3, 1911, a boundary survey was made for the school property. The Township of Peรฑarrubia took steps to have the property registered in its name under Land Registration Case No. 8949 before the Court of Land Registration. The property covered about 24,073 square meters and became the school grounds known to generations of pupils as the โCentral.โ
The school building was locally known as the โGabaldon.โ It stood at the top of the hill, overlooking the school grounds and athletic track. It had high ceilings, large windows, wide openings, and good ventilation. The year 1917 was reportedly inscribed on the side of the old building and is the oldest known date connected with the structure.
In 1928, by virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 3427, the school building was repaired, remodeled, and enlarged at a cost of โฑ3,000. About 150 residents helped improve the school grounds by constructing an athletic track and leveling a hilly portion of the site. The area was also used for ground demonstrations and community activities, especially during fiestas.
Other buildings were later added, including the Home Economics Building below the old acacia tree, the Shop Building, and the amphitheater.
Through the years, PCS became an important institution of the municipality. Many of its pupils later became teachers, nurses, lawyers, government employees, and professionals.
During the Second World War, the school building was bombed and damaged. According to local accounts, important school records were saved. After the war, PCS was rebuilt. The Philippine Rehabilitation Act of 1946 provided assistance for war-damaged properties, while the Philippine War Damage Commission handled claims. The reconstructed school building is believed to have been completed in 1951, although the exact date has not been confirmed.
In 1969, the old school building was again repaired and became the concrete school building remembered by succeeding generations.
The school continued to grow, with additional facilities and activities supported by parents, teachers, former pupils, and community leaders. For generations of pupils, the old building was a familiar part of their childhood, the place where they learned their first lessons, met their teachers and friends, and made memories.
In 2001, Typhoon Feria struck Abra and destroyed the old school building of PCS. The loss was deeply felt by the community. Although the old building was gone, the school continued to serve the community.
By 2015, the school was known as Peรฑarrubia Integrated School, now serving learners up to Grade 12, with more classrooms and facilities built for its growing population.
Future restoration plans aim to eventually rebuild the old historic building, bringing back an iconic part of the campus and preserving its memory on the hill.
From the Instituto of 1903, to Peรฑarrubia Central School, and now to Peรฑarrubia Integrated School, more than a century of education and service has passed.
The buildings have changed, generations of teachers and pupils have come and gone, but the school has remained part of the life and history of the people of Peรฑarrubia.
Its story continues.
ยฉ ๐๐ญ ๐๐ข๐ถฬ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ฆ ๐๐ข๐ณ๐ช๐ฏฬ๐ฐ