Clicky

Glasgow City Archives

Glasgow City Archives This profile is monitored regularly & we aim to answer enquiries within 24 hours. For more immediate responses please call 01412874350 during office hours.

Social Media House Rules: https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/social

Operating as usual

Group of thousand-gallon cows, Woodilee, 1935Did you know that Glasgow Corporation used to run its own dairy farms? Afte...
01/06/2022

Group of thousand-gallon cows, Woodilee, 1935

Did you know that Glasgow Corporation used to run its own dairy farms?

After the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929, the Public Health Department of the Corporation took ownership of the three farms supplying milk to Woodilee, Gartloch and Hawkhead hospitals. It also ran Hazeltonhead and Brackenhirst farms. All these dairy farms were under the control of a Farms Manager who was helped at each location by an Assistant Farm Manager.

The milk produced on the Corporation dairy farms was pure and safe. These were essential qualities given that the milk supplied hospitals and was also used in the Corporation’s child welfare initiatives.

Archive ref: D-HE6/1/19

Inspection and marking for Rolls-Royce trainees, Stow College, c.1940 Today, we’re sharing a third image from the Rolls-...
31/05/2022

Inspection and marking for Rolls-Royce trainees, Stow College, c.1940

Today, we’re sharing a third image from the Rolls-Royce, Hillington photo album. At one point, Rolls-Royce employed 25,000 workers at Hillington and became the largest factory in terms of its employees in Scotland.

Archive ref: TD2144

Glasgow College of Printing (Calton Annexe), Kerr Street, c1970. This building was originally Calton Public School and w...
30/05/2022

Glasgow College of Printing (Calton Annexe), Kerr Street, c1970.

This building was originally Calton Public School and was designed by John Gordon for the School Board of Glasgow in 1890.

Archive ref: D-ED5/29/7/130A

Watch out...Learners about!Learner drivers on Crow Road, n.d. Ref: D-OPW76/45A
29/05/2022

Watch out...Learners about!
Learner drivers on Crow Road, n.d.
Ref: D-OPW76/45A

Trongate, looking east, 1914  Archive Ref:  P1863
29/05/2022

Trongate, looking east, 1914 Archive Ref: P1863

An amazing view of Gordon Street, 1914, looking east.Archive Ref: P1862
28/05/2022

An amazing view of Gordon Street, 1914, looking east.
Archive Ref: P1862

504 Dumbarton Rd, 1936 Sir Thomas Lipton was born 1850 in Gorbals. Lipton opened first shop in 1871, entered tea trade &...
28/05/2022

504 Dumbarton Rd, 1936
Sir Thomas Lipton was born 1850 in Gorbals. Lipton opened first shop in 1871, entered tea trade & became one of major entrepreneurs of city. An avid yachtsman, during WW1 Lipton offered his yachts to Red Cross & Scottish Women's Hospital.
Ref: D-CA8/1033

Buck's Head Building at the corner of Argyle St and Dunlop St, in 1972It was built on the site of the old Buck’s Head Ho...
27/05/2022

Buck's Head Building at the corner of Argyle St and Dunlop St, in 1972

It was built on the site of the old Buck’s Head Hotel in 1863 by local architects Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson and George Thomson.

Ref: D-PL2/1/2673

What a shopping experience it must have been at Copland & Lye’s millinery department 👒 🛍️, at their Caledonian House sto...
25/05/2022

What a shopping experience it must have been at Copland & Lye’s millinery department 👒 🛍️, at their Caledonian House store, Sauchiehall Street around 1911.
Archive ref: TD128/175

Interior of Partick Bath and Wash House in the 1920’s. The Partick steamie opened in 1914 on what was then Douglas Stree...
24/05/2022

Interior of Partick Bath and Wash House in the 1920’s. The Partick steamie opened in 1914 on what was then Douglas Street (now Purdon Street). It included 56 washing stalls along with 18 baths for men and 8 baths for women! In the 1960’s it was converted into a laundrette with electric washing machines.

Ref: D-BW1/9

The Sunlight Cottages ☀️ at Kelvingrove Park during the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition. The cottages were built a...
23/05/2022

The Sunlight Cottages ☀️ at Kelvingrove Park during the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition.

The cottages were built as part of the exhibition, from designs by James Miller and still stand today. They are based on homes built at Port Sunlight, near Liverpool, for workers at Levers Bros.

Ref: TD808/7

In 1922 during the Civil War the Public Record Office in Four Courts Dublin went up in flames. Now, on the eve of the di...
23/05/2022
Seven centuries of Irish archives painstakingly recreated after being destroyed in civil war

In 1922 during the Civil War the Public Record Office in Four Courts Dublin went up in flames. Now, on the eve of the disaster’s centenary, a virtual reconstruction of the building and its archives is to be unveiled. Historians, archivists and computer scientists have spent five years piecing together much of what had been thought lost for ever.

Digital wizardry and academic sleuthing have helped recreate a cultural treasure severely damaged in the conflict in 1922

Glasgow Corporation Cleansing Dept Horse Parade, c 1952 Based at 142 Bell St, the Dept complex housed stables and the de...
22/05/2022

Glasgow Corporation Cleansing Dept Horse Parade, c 1952
Based at 142 Bell St, the Dept complex housed stables and the department’s general store & granary - department farms supplied the hay, straw and grain for distributing to depots across Glasgow.
Ref: P1271, P1272

Argyle St, c.1896 from album of views of Glasgow, published by Burns, Crawford & Co, Glasgow.Archive Ref: P718/10
22/05/2022

Argyle St, c.1896 from album of views of Glasgow, published by Burns, Crawford & Co, Glasgow.
Archive Ref: P718/10

100 Argyle St and the Argyll Arcade, September 1930.The Argyll Arcade is one of Europe’s oldest covered shopping arcades...
21/05/2022

100 Argyle St and the Argyll Arcade, September 1930.
The Argyll Arcade is one of Europe’s oldest covered shopping arcades and Scotland’s first ever indoor shopping mall. The L-shaped arcade was built in 1827 in the Parisian style. The arcade was cut through old tenements and provides a link between Argyle Street and Buchanan Street.
Ref: D-CA8/175

Repairs done while you wait! Old Boot repair shop at 418 Argyle Street, Anderston, undated.Ref: D-CA8/199
21/05/2022

Repairs done while you wait! Old Boot repair shop at 418 Argyle Street, Anderston, undated.
Ref: D-CA8/199

Nearly time for a weekend tipple! Here's The Bear's Paw pub on Garscube Road, 1933. The pub was demolished in the early ...
20/05/2022

Nearly time for a weekend tipple! Here's The Bear's Paw pub on Garscube Road, 1933. The pub was demolished in the early 1970s.
Ref: D-CA8/1238

On this day in 1939, the Cosmo Cinema (now GFT) opened its doors. The UK's first purpose built "art-house" cinema outsid...
18/05/2022

On this day in 1939, the Cosmo Cinema (now GFT) opened its doors. The UK's first purpose built "art-house" cinema outside London, the Cosmo played an important part in the cultural life of the city for decades. It was taken over by the Scottish Film Council in 1974 and became the Glasgow Film Theatre.

Here's the original building and signage, peeking out of the left-hand side of this image of Rose St and Sauchiehall St, the month after it opened.

Ref: D-CA8/2899

A peek inside the hairdressing salon at Stow College, 1960.Ref: P1269
17/05/2022

A peek inside the hairdressing salon at Stow College, 1960.

Ref: P1269

This image captioned "shop litter" was taken by the Glasgow Corporation Cleansing Department to illustrate the problem o...
16/05/2022

This image captioned "shop litter" was taken by the Glasgow Corporation Cleansing Department to illustrate the problem of rubbish on the streets. It's not just a modern phenomenon! Photo of Crown Street, no date.

Ref: P1503

Glassford St, 1954,  looking south from Ingram St.  Archive Ref: P1322
15/05/2022

Glassford St, 1954, looking south from Ingram St. Archive Ref: P1322

Rental of the L***r Hospital at the  Brigend, GorbalsLeprosy was a common disease throughout medieval western Europe.Whi...
15/05/2022

Rental of the L***r Hospital at the Brigend, Gorbals
Leprosy was a common disease throughout medieval western Europe.While not fully understood, there was a a realisation that leprosy was highly contagious. Glasgow's l***r house, St Nicholas Hospital, was located outwith the city limits at the bridge end south of Glasgow bridge in Gorbals, ensuring its isolation from the town. The l***rs were allowed to come and buy food, as long as they carried clappers to warn of their presence and stood down-wind of the healthy. A cemetery was attached to the colony where the l***rs were buried.
It was founded by Bishop Muirhead in the mid 15th century and was managed by him and later bishops until the abolition of the episcopacy in 1689. By 1716 Glasgow's Magistrates become responsible for its affairs.

An image of the Working Boys Home and Children’s Night Refuge, James Morrison Street, c.1902.  Opened in 1876 as the Cit...
14/05/2022

An image of the Working Boys Home and Children’s Night Refuge, James Morrison Street, c.1902.
Opened in 1876 as the City Orphanage by William Quarrier, it accommodated 100 boys and gave temporary care to a further 100 boys and girls. He was a committed Christian and having risen out of poverty himself, Quarrier was inspired to help the destitute children who slept rough on Glasgow's streets. In the same year he opened the City Orphanage, he bought Nittingshill farm at Bridge-of-Weir,and opened Quarrier’s Orphan Homes there in 1878. William established a programme of emigration to Canada in 1872 and migrations from Quarrier’s continued until 1938
Archive Ref: D-HE 8/2, p.13B

Western Infirmary, Byres Rd, Partick, postmark 1906    Archive Ref:  P9654
14/05/2022

Western Infirmary, Byres Rd, Partick, postmark 1906 Archive Ref: P9654

New shops for Anniesland Co-operative Society Ltd, 56 – 64 Fulton Street, Temple, Apr 1930Archive ref: D-CA8/1186
13/05/2022

New shops for Anniesland Co-operative Society Ltd, 56 – 64 Fulton Street, Temple, Apr 1930

Archive ref: D-CA8/1186

Carte de visite showing Nurse Rae (centre) with colleagues, Barnhill Poorhouse, c1898.This photo is from the papers of M...
12/05/2022

Carte de visite showing Nurse Rae (centre) with colleagues, Barnhill Poorhouse, c1898.

This photo is from the papers of Margaret Melville Rae (ref: TD966) who trained as a nurse at Barnhill and worked there for four years before becoming a Queen’s Nurse in January 1899.

Archive ref: P09044

The Rolls-Royce factory, Hillington, c.1940. In March, we shared an image from a photo album dedicated to this factory a...
11/05/2022

The Rolls-Royce factory, Hillington, c.1940.

In March, we shared an image from a photo album dedicated to this factory and lots of you asked to see more photos.

Here’s one showing the early stages of the Merlin engine’s final assembly. Each engine moved down the track on four castor feet and was transferred to successive sidings where the work began.

Such was the importance of the factory’s work that it was one of the original targets of the German bombing raids of 13 and 14 March 1941. These were the attacks which resulted in the devastation of parts of Clydeside, notably the burgh of Clydebank and Kilmun Street in Maryhill.

Archive ref: TD2144

The fireboat St Mungo, River Clyde, 1959. Built by Hugh McLean & Sons Ltd of Renfrew, the fireboat was officially launch...
10/05/2022

The fireboat St Mungo, River Clyde, 1959.

Built by Hugh McLean & Sons Ltd of Renfrew, the fireboat was officially launched for the Glasgow Fire Service on 21 May 1959. Originally insured for £80,000, the 68-foot-long vessel provided valuable assistance in fighting fires from the river. Its pumping machines drew up river water which could then be directed in sprays from the deck.

After local government re-organisation in 1975, Glasgow became part of Strathclyde Fire Service and the St Mungo was sold to Offshore Workboats Ltd.

Archive ref: TD1431/54/7

Address

Mitchell Library, 201 North Street
Glasgow
G3 7DN

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Glasgow City Archives posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Glasgow City Archives:

Videos

About The City Archives

The City Archives, housed in the Mitchell Library, include the official records of Glasgow and other local authorities as well as a large number of private collections.

Nearby museums


Comments

what was the big store called in Sauchall street near McLelland galleries it began with a T ?
As it is , we with an image of trolley buses in Glassford St from 1954, looking south from Ingram St.

📷 Thanks Glasgow City Archives
Interesting story from Glasgow City Archives ..
This is an image of a busy street leading to Jamaica Street Bridge aka Glasgow Bridge. These scenes are from 1914 and look northwards from the Broomielaw.

📷Thanks Glasgow City Archives
It's time 😍

Oh wow, what an amazing image this is of the Townhead area from 1990. Just look at the stunning view showing many of the area's iconic buildings.

📷Thanks Glasgow City Archives
View of the City Chambers in George Square busy with trams, horses and carts, around 1920.

Queen Victoria opened the City Chambers in 1888. The opulent building was designed by Paisley-born architect William Young.

archive ref: P9628 Photo Credit 📸 Glasgow City Archives

My book which was Published in Dec.2021 only 2 books had been sold by March 2022.
------------
"The Once Powerful Talai Clan A Trail of Tears" book which some foreign Media institutions following the Talai Compensation Case which is the main SUBJECT of the book like; The BBC, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, VOA, CGTN & Korean TV among others, commented that the book is a good material for an exciting non-fiction Film.
---------
Description

This is a short history from a long and complex account of the Kipsigis community among the Kalenjins and the Maasai of Kenya. The Talai clan in discussion staged an unparalleled resistance to the British Colonial Powers at the establishment of the Kenya Colony.
The book is about the history of the Kipsigis Talai from mid 18th Century to now, their culture, traditions, governance systems, resistance to the British Colonial government in Kenya , Hstorical Injustices, Prophecies of Barak Obama becoming the President of the U.S ( 1947), Princess Elizabeth becoming the the Queen while in Kenya in Feb. 1952 , among other stories. Their ( Kipsigis Talai) Compensation Petition to the British Government is now (Year 2021) with U.N Agency- The Human Rights Rapporteurs’ Sections.
The Kipsigis Talai have remained unheard of fighters in the published history of Kenya. Why? The author tells how and why.
---------------
The book is sold on the Amazon, Kobo & Google books.
We with an image of a Rolls-Royce factory from 1940 in Hillington.

This was one of several shadow factories set up just before the Second World War. They produced Merlin engines for planes including Spitfires & Lancaster Bombers 🛩️

📷Thanks Glasgow City Archives
Hey, I’m looking for class photos from napiershall street primary , 1965/66 if possible
For pictures of Ann Whiteford x
June 1963 crew of ship in Glasgow Docks heading doon the watter to Dunoon.

photo Margaret
Any idea which school this would have been - in or near Partick - also maybe when taken - they would have been born in 1921?
Does a paper poke count as archive? Came across this today......
x

Other Glasgow museums (show all)

The Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum Compass Gallery Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery GoMA - Glasgow Museums Glasgow Science Centre Scotland Street School Museum The Britannia Panopticon Music Hall Trongate 103 Glasgow Museums Riverside Museum The Tall Ship Glenlee Provand's Lordship Saule Juga Dream Art Painting + Restoration Studio, Wasps Factory, Fairfield Heritage - the story of Glasgow's greatest shipyard